Moorhead Area Public Schools District is seeking support for four fleets of 24 bikes, helmets, kickstands and curriculum. This would be a district wide initiative to equip every elementary school in their district with the Kindergarten PE Program.
[Moorhead Area Public Schools] looks forward to partnering with you to provide an amazing opportunity for some of our youngest students to learn to ride a bike. We are a diverse school district with nearly 47% of our preK-12 students receiving free or reduced lunches and students that speak over 40 different languages. In Moorhead our physical education goal place emphasis upon physical fitness, skill development and the creation of a learning environment in which all students experience success and growth based upon their own levels of ability. Our physical education teachers have worked hard this year preparing to implement the new standards by 2021-2022. We see the Strider Bike Program fitting into many of the standards:
The Student will:
1. Demonstrate competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
2. Apply knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics to movement and performance.
3. Demonstrate the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
4. Exhibit responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
5. Recognize the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction. The [All Kids] Bike Program will provide us an opportunity to focus on a lifelong skill that many of our students do not have, nor may they ever have. We are excited to make plans and for implementation of the curriculum that provides guidance in lessons, games and safety points, particularly wearing helmets! We appreciate your foundation taking an interest in helping our students develop life long skills. - Tamara Uselman, Assistant Superintendant
All Kids Bike® is a national movement led by the Strider® Education Foundation to place Kindergarten PE Learn-To-Ride Programs into public schools for free, using donations from individuals, businesses, and organizations. All Kids Bike is on a mission to teach every child in America how to ride a bike in kindergarten PE class.